Imagine all the Children, Feeling Safe and Sound
I was watching a documentary about John Lennon and Yoko Ono yesterday and noticed how much the subject of “imagining “came up.
Imagining is the first step to creating something in your life you want to be true. We know that it begins to build neural pathways in your brain to help you do, be or move towards anything you want in life.
(Note – you imagine all the time without realising it. Often when you are anxious, worried or concerned it’s because you are “imagining” worst case scenarios and outcomes , creating needless distress when all may turn out well. Of course, in some cases it’s too difficult due to past circumstances, but those memories can often be healed with the right help.)
Imagining positive outcomes helps to build a Growth Mindset, Resilience and increased Happiness, as our thoughts control our feelings. These are all things that schools are striving to teach our children at the moment, and they need help from you at home as well.
“Daphne and the Smiley Shells” teaches Growth Mindset, Resilience, Positive Self Talk and greater Self Esteem. It’s activities encourage a child to notice their own unique strengths, their positive behaviour, where their skills are growing and to imagine the best possible outcome in all situations.
There is power in multiple people imagining the same outcome. So I invite you to imagine…
- Parents understanding the power of the words children hear about themselves, whether from their mouths or from others – and how the words can either build a child up, or knock them down.
- Parents themselves realising that their own thinking is due to what they experienced at home/school/playing, and choosing to become positive thinkers as well as finding ways to heal their old programming.
- Teachers and parents spreading the word through the book “Daphne and the Smiley Shells”, providing activities that embed this message in the classroom, and sending the message home through Homework and extra curricular activities.
- Children growing up being coached by their parents during some quiet time together, reflecting on what they have to offer the world, where they are growing and how they would like to improve – but mostly celebrating who they already are.
- Teachers and Carers more confident that the children are getting the support they need at home, noticing the positive results and so able to work more easily with their class at School.
Inspired myself by the word and song “Imagine”, and the two well-meaning people who used it so effectively before, I offer a tongue-in-cheek alternative to the lyrics in my first ever attempt at poetry… sing along with me!
“Imagine all the children,
Feeling safe and sound,
Feeling strong and powerful,
And on solid ground,
Imagine all the families.
Living life in peace….
Imagine all the Parents
Feeling good inside
Helping all the children
Live their lives with pride
Imagine all the Teachers
Inspiring kids with ease….
You hoo ooo…
You may say I’m a dreamer,
That I’m only seeing the sun
I hope some day you will join me
And the world can have more Fun!”
Please feel free to get in touch if you’ve got something to share or add to the above, I’d love to talk with you and help in any way that I can.
Vicki Tongeman is a Wife, Mother, Artist, Teacher, Author and Coach. She lives on the beautiful shores near the New Forest and loves walking and being mindful on the beach and in nature. Her friends call her the “Magic Mermaid” as she combines life changing coaching techniques with a sprinkle of Mermaid Magic!
As an NLP Practitioner and personal coach Vicki is passionate about helping people develop their inner self confidence and achieve their goals.